Monday, May 25, 2009

Sacred Heart Mission




The grounds of the Sacred Heart Mission are one of the hidden jewels of history and photography in Oklahoma. There is always a sense of pervading peace as soon as I pass the gate and begin walking in. There seems to be a difference in the light at the Mission, as well. It is just a little warmer, a bit clearer and softer at the same time. There is a timeless feel that comes over me as well. I do not understand how any of this works – just know that it is a common experience the many times I have been there. And somehow it manifest in the photographs I make. Maybe I am more peaceful and methodical in my shooting. Maybe things do slow down to where I can actually see them.
So when you go make sure you have plenty of time because you will certainly lose track of it. And do not be surprised if maybe your images feel timeless.









Near Konowa, Pottawatomie County, Oklahoma the Sacred Heart Mission was founded in 1877 to meet the needs of the recently relocated Citizen Band Potawatomi Indians. On Sunday, May 13, 1877, the first Mass at Sacred Heart was held under the open sky. The mission eventually consisted of a monastery, boys' school, girls' school, convent, college, and church. Sacred Heart Monastery for many years was the center of Catholicism in Oklahoma.


On the night of January 15, 1901, a fire broke out in the dining room of the Indian Boys School and swept out of control. The entire mission was destroyed with the exception of a few small buildings. The bakery and the two-story log cabin are the only buildings that remain today.

1 comment:

  1. I know this is an old post, but could you please tell me how to get to these buildings and cemetery? I want to visit them but can not find any information about where exactly they are located. I know where the main cemetery and church are, but it would be much appreciated if you could tell me how to find the actual mission. Love the pictures btw. Thank you

    ReplyDelete