Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Expectations - Great or Otherwise




"We look at the world and see what we have learned to believe is there."
Aaron Siskind


I have been back from my trip to The Great Salt Plains National Wildlife Refuge and Gloss Mountains State Park for a few days now. It is an area that I enjoy visiting and photographing and the weather was forecasted to be good. I left on the trip with high expectations.

I had some new equipment to try out and was expecting great things (images) from the stops I had on my itinerary. The trip went well – the light was not as dynamic as I had hoped for but it was good just to be out creating images in places I enjoy and connect to. I was happy with the images that were showing up on the back of the camera and was congratulating myself on not being too far out of form even though I had not been photographing as much lately. Kept snapping away happy as that clam. As soon as I got back I downloaded the memory card and promptly decided all but a few out of 300+ images were crap.

Expectations are funny things – some are fairly certain of being met, “ tomorrow will be another day”; some less certain,“ there is a 50% chance of rain today”; some are assured of not being realized, “these are my lucky lottery numbers”; and then there are some that you were certain would never come about, “what do you mean I snore like a drunken warthog?”

What do you mean everything is improperly exposed, poorly composed and generally uninteresting?
Wasn’t expecting that! Now What?


I would think I would remember that every time I first look at new images they seldom, if ever, meet my expectations. Take a big, deep breath; take one more; in fact, just turn off the computer or go goof on Facebook, anything to forget about the images for a few days (at least 2).


"The one quality absolutely necessary for success in hand camera work is Patience."
Alfred Steiglitz

No comments:

Post a Comment